Living Like No Other

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Living Like No Other-the Parenting Life

Flashback to August 2003...Channing and I were planning to travel down to Trussville from Atlanta for our first big marketing event. I had been feeling unlike myself for a couple of weeks and decided it was time to take another test...a pregnancy test, that is. That test permanently changed our lives. I mean, I didn't know a line could be SO BLUE! We both had so many feelings; feelings of excitement, nervousness, and utter awe. I remember being so nervous about the financial end of having this "surprise bundle of joy." It never even crossed my mind that there was so much more to raising a child than just paying for it. This brings me to the current theme of my blog: "Living Like No Other".
While I was pregnant, I read every pregnancy and parenting book I could get my hands on. I used the internet to research countless authors and their respective parenting ideas. By the time Tristan got here, I thought I had everything figured out. Boy was I in for a surprise! Nothing could have prepared me for what I faced as a parent. I no longer had just myself, my husband, and our little world to manage. I instantly became responsible for a child of God. I became responsible for a child that God literally "knitted together in my womb." He was and is a precious gift that God entrusted to Channing and me to "train in the way he should go so that when he is old, he will not turn from it." Wow! God trusted me with this HUGE task!
Channing and I quickly fell into the "child-centered parenting" trap; thinking we were doing what was best for Tristan. We let him choose just about everything, including but not limited to when we would eat, sleep, and spend time together. We refused to chastise because we didn't want to "teach him to hit". Then, by the utter Grace of God, Channing and I were able to take a phenomenal parenting course: "Let the Children Come Along the Virtuous Way" aka "Growing Kids God's Way." Because parenting is such a huge responsibility, I researched it, as I had researched many other curriculums prior. On the internet, I found many disturbing "opinions" and was really hesitant to take the group. In the end, I decided to give it a shot because of the great respect I had for our pastor and his wife, who happened to be teaching it.
After the first lesson, I knew we had been led to the most amazing bit of parenting information I had ever heard. The whole idea of the program was not to train a child's behavior but to train the child's heart. Teach a child the whys of life, not just the nos. What an awesome idea! However, as in other areas of life, this way of training a child requires us to "live like no other." This way of thinking is so different than the ways of the world. I have learned that with a two year old, we have to control his decisions, his meals, what he watches, and who is around. We have learned to set goals for Tristan that are far beyond what so many people even imagine because he is the child of the Most High God. There are areas in which this comes easily, then there are areas where this is really difficult. Chastisement-hard, explaining why a "no is a no" - not so hard; allowing him to make his own mistakes and learn from getting hurt-hard; showing unconditional love-not hard. Although parenting is difficult, I believe that as long as we put God's needs and wants for our children in front of our own, He will work everything out for His Own Glory; we just have to make sure we are seeking Him and His infinite wisdom FIRST. If we do this, the fruits of our parenting will be out of this world!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger david santos said...

Thanks for your post, Annieck.
Happy day

3:10 PM  
Blogger Shaunta' said...

Hi,
I found you through a comment you left on Nicole's blog. As you said, she is a wonderful mother. I get to see her a couple of times a week and she is such a joy to me. I have a daughter, Halley (like Sally) who is 20 months and we are pregnant with TWINS (due one month after her birthday)!!! Wow, God is good. I used the "Teach them along the infant way" book with my daughter. It was so helpful. Many of my friends used it and I noticed how their children were so content and happy because they were on a schedule. That's what got me interested. It was so helpful to know what Halley needed because she was on a routine. I will definetly be using this same method with our twins. I think there is a book out for toddlers. Have you read it? We are dealing with Halley biting right now. It is so hard. Do you have any tips/words of wisdom that you can shere? I look forward to getting to know you through your blog. Thx for encouraging my sweet Nicole!

10:24 AM  
Blogger annieck said...

Hey Shaunta'! I am SO sorry I'm just now replying to your message. I don't keep up with this blog much. :(

I just LOVE Nicole and am so encouraged by her faith and strength. She is an amazing woman.

I have read Babywise and Toddlerwise. I think both books are great. Channing and I also took Growing KIds God's Way at our church, and we learned SO SO MUCH! It was awesome.

As for words of wisdom on the biting, I honestly don't know. Asher, my youngest, had started biting Tristan. What I did (and it seems to have worked) was spank his hand with a rubber ruler and tell him, "No biting" every time he did it. It only took a few times, and he stopped. Now, he sometimes puts his lips on Tristan but very rarely bites.

I look forward to getting to know you, Shaunta'! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Now I'm going to have to zoom over to your blog. :)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Power Up Love said...

I invite you to visit www.PowerUpLove.com a community of real people sharing real stories about how Love (God) has really impacted and changed their lives. Blessings...

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home